NEWBOLT was a locational name 'the dweller at the new building' from residence therein. The name was originally derived from the Anglo-Saxon word NEUBOLD, and was brought into England by settlers during the wake of the Norman Invasion of 1066. There are parishes that bear this name in counties Warwick, Worcester, and Leciestershire, and there are also hamlets in counties Leicester and Derby, Northants and Warwickshire. Local names usually denoted where a man held his land, and indicated where he actually lived. Almost every city, town or village existing in the Middle Ages has served to name one or more families. Where a man lived was his means of identification. When a man left his birthplace or village where he had been known, and went elsewhere, people would likely refer to him by the name of his former residence or birthplace, or by the name of the land which he owned. Early records of the name mention John de Neubald of County Salop, who was documented in the year 1273, and Richard de Newebald appears in Oxford in the same year. Robertus de Newbold of Yorkshire, was listed in the 1379 Yorkshire Poll Tax. Before the 1066 Conquest names were rare in England, the few examples found were mainly adopted by those of the clergy or one who had taken holy orders. In 1086 the conquering Duke William of Normandy commanded the Domesday Book. He wanted to know what he had and who held it, and the Book describes Old English society under its new management in minute detail. It was then that surnames began to be taken for the purposes of tax-assessment. The nobles and the upper classes were first to realise the prestige of a second name, but it was not until the 15th century that most people had acquired a second name. Later instances of the name include Joseph, son of John Newball who was baptised at St. Jame's, Clerkenwell, London in 1654, and William Glenister married Elizabeth Newboult in County Buckinghamshire in 1693. George Ernest Eller wed Mary Newbolt at St. George's, Hanover Square, London in 1726. The associated coat of arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884. Arms registered at County York.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).