Where did the Scottish Murray family come from? What is the Scottish coat of arms/family crest? When did the Murray family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the history of the family name?
The members of the current generation of the Murray family have inherited a name that was first used hundreds of years ago by the people of the ancient Scottish tribe called the Picts. The Murray family lived in the county of Moray in the northeast of Scotland.
Although Medieval Scotland lacked a basic set of spelling rules, which meant that scribes recorded names according to their sounds it was not uncommon for the names of a father and son to be recorded differently. As a result, there are many spelling variations of Scottish single names. Murray has been written Murray, Murrey, Moray, Morey, Morrey, Morry, Murry and many more.
First found in Moray where they were seated from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Thousands of Scots left their home country to travel to Ireland or Australia, or to cross the Atlantic for the North American colonies. The difficult crossing was an enormous hurdle, but those who survived found freedom and opportunity in ample measure. Some Scots even fought for their freedom in the American War of Independence. This century, their ancestors have become aware of the illustrious history of the Scots in North America and at home through clan societies and other organizations. Passenger and immigration lists show many early and influential immigrants bearing the name Murray: Andrew, Anne, Archibald, Bernard, Catherine, Charles, Daniel, Denis, Edward, George, Henry, Hugh, James, John, Martin, Michael, Patrick, Peter, Robert, Thomas and William Murray who all arrived in Philadelphia between 1800 and 1870. In Newfoundland, James Murray was in possession of property and was a fisherman of St. John's in 1784.
Suggested Readings for the name Murray
* Family Ties of Roy Harold Murray by Miriam Clouds Murray.
* Golden Clan: the Murrays, the McDonnells, and the Irish American Aristocracy by John Corry.
Some noteworthy people of the name Murray
* Bill Murray (b. 1950), Academy Award-nominated, Emmy-winning and Golden Globe-winning American comedian and actor
* Bill Murray (b. 1950), American comedian and movie actor
* Patty Murray (b. 1950), American Politician, United States Senator for Washington (from 1992)
* Alexander Stuart Murray (1841-1904), Scottish archaeologist
* William Murray (b. 1930), 8th Earl of Mansfield, Scottish nobleman and Conservative politician
* Anne Murray (b. 1945), Canadian singer
* Anne Murray (b. 1945), Canadian singer.
* George Gilbert Aimé Murray (1866-1957), classical scholar
* George Iain Murray, 10th Duke of Atholl (1931-1996)
* Gilbert Murray (1866-1957), Professor and Greek scholar at Oxford University
* Sir James Augustus Henry Murray (1837-1915), British philologist and the original lexicographer of the Oxford English Dictionary
* Keith Anderson Hope Murray (1903-1993), Baron Murray of Newhaven, British academic
* Kenneth Randolph Murray, 11th Earl of Dunmore (1913-1995)
* Les Murray (b. 1938), poet
* Sir Terrence Ubrey Murray (1810-1873), Irish born, settler and architect in Australia
Thanks for visiting ourMurray Family Crest / Murray Coat of Arms website.