Spelling variations of this family name include: Monroe, Monro, Monrow, Munroe, Munro, Munrow and many more.
First found in Cromartyshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Chromba) former county in northern Scotland, consisting of a series of enclaves within Ross-shire, now part of the Council Areas of Highland and Western Isles, where they were descended from Donadl O'Kane and his Irish Sept, who left their homeland at the mouth of the river Roe, in Ireland and settler in Ferrindonald in Cromarty, in the 11th century.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Alexander Monro settled in Georgia in 1735 with his wife and children; Hector Monroe settled in the Barbados in 1745; Hugh Monrow settled in Boston in 1651.
(Above is a small excerpt from our 1800 word history)
Suggested Readings for the name Monroe
Munro Family by Ronald G. Munro, History and Genealogy of the Lexington, Massachusetts Munroes by Richard S. Munroe.
Some noteworthy people of the name Monroe
* Marilyn Monroe (1926-1962), two time Golden Globe award winning American actress, model, Hollywood icon
* Harriet Monroe (1860-1936), American poet
* President James Monroe (1758-1831), fifth President of the United States
* Walter Stanley Monroe (1871-1952), former Prime Minister of Newfoundland
* Elizabeth Kortright Monroe (1768-1830), wife of American President Monroe
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).