Much obscurity enshrouds the origin of this old Galwegian name McCULLOUGH and no satisfactory pedigree of this family exists. The first of the name appears in 1296 when Thomas Macluagh de Wyggetone rendered homage. He appears in the same year as a juror on an inquest in Berwick. Sir Patrick McCoulagh was a charter witness in Galloway in the year 1354. Patrick Mackullouch was vicar of Arbroath in the year of 1482. John Ramsay McCulloch (1789-1864) was the political economist, born in Whitehorn. He edited the Scotsman (1818-19) and for twenty years provided most of the articles on economics in the Edinburgh Review. The name was spelt as Maccullo in 1550, Makcullocht in 1546 and Mackculloch in 1684. Most of the European surnames were formed in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. The process had started somewhat earlier and had continued in some places into the 19th century, but the norm is that in the tenth and eleventh centuries people did not have surnames, whereas by the fifteenth century most of the population had acquired a second name. Surnames as we know them today were first assumed in Europe from the 11th to the 15th Century. They were not in use in England or in Scotland before the Norman Conquest, and were first found in the Domesday Book. The employment in the use of a second name was a custom that was first introduced from the Normans. They themselves had not long before adopted them. It became, in course of time, a mark of gentler blood, and it was deemed a disgrace for gentlemen to have but one single name, as the meaner sort had. It was not until the reign of Edward II (1307-1327) it became general practice amongst all people. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face, and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield and embroidered on his surcoat, the flowing and draped garment worn over the armour. The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884. Registered at Myrtoun, County Wigton.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).