Where did the Scottish McKinney family come from? What is the Scottish coat of arms/family crest? When did the McKinney family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the history of the family name?
The Scottish name McKinney is an Anglicized form of the Gaelic Mac Shimidh, a patronymic from a Gaelic equivalent to the name Simon.
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacKimmie, Mackhimmie, MacShimmie, MacCammie, MacKymmie, MacKymmey, MacImmey, MacImmie, McKimmie, McShimmie, McCammie, McKynnie, McKymmey, McImmey and many more.
First found in Tweedale in East Lothian (Gaelic: Lodainn an Ear), a former county, sometimes known as Haddingtonshire located in the Lowland region surrounding the city of Edinburgh. They are said to descend from a Norman family from Anjou, in the Seigneurie of La Frezeliere, where their name was Frezell, they were one of the many Norman families invited north by King David of Scotland, and were granted lands at Keith in East Lothian in 1160.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Alexander Mackimmie, who settled in Georgia in 1736.
Motto Translated: I am ready.
For more information on the last name McKinney, the PDF Surname History is available for purchase as well as other products.
Suggested Readings for the name McKinney
* Converging Paths by Thelma D. McKinney.
* The Family McKinney by Nancy McKinney Sayford.
Some noteworthy people of the name McKinney
* Baylus Benjamin McKinney (1886-1952), American singer, songwriter, and music editor
* Collin McKinney (1766-1861), American merchant and politician
* Philip W. McKinney (1832-1899), American politician
* Kurt McKinney (b. 1962), American actor
* Stewart McKinney (1931-1987), American politician
* Sir William McKinney, Banker
* Sergeant (then Private) John R McKinney, who was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1945
* Fearghal McKinney (b. 1962), Northern Irish television presenter and journalist
Please be aware that there is more than one coat of arms for this surname. If you would like this particular coat of arms, you must describe it on your order form. If you don't describe it on your order form, we will provide you with the oldest coat of arms on record for this surname, which may or may not be the one pictured above.
Also, the images on this website are copyrighted. Please email me if you would like permission to use the image pictured above on a website.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).