Where did the English maxwell family come from? What is the English coat of arms/family crest? When did the maxwell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the history of the family name?
The ancestors of the maxwell were of the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name maxwell was originally derived from a family that lived near Maxwell, a salmon pool located on the Tweed river near Kelso Bridge. The surname maxwell belongs to the large category of Anglo-Saxon habitation names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
It is only in the last few hundred years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon surnames like maxwell are characterized by many spelling variations. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. The variations of the name maxwell include: Maxwell, Maxweel, Makeswell, Makiswell, Maxuel, Maxwaile, Maxwale and many more.
First found in Yorkshire where they were seated from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Many English families tired of political and religious strife left Britain for the new colonies in North America. Although the trip itself offered no relief - conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and many travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute - these immigrants believed the oppurtunities that awaited them were worth the risks. Once in the colonies, many of the families did indeed prosper and, in turn, made significant contributions to the culture and economies of the growing colonies. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name maxwell or a variant listed above: Alan, David, George, Henry, Hugh, James, John, Mary, Robert, Samuel, Thomas, William Maxwell all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860. In Newfoundland, William was a soldier of St. John's in 1821.
Motto Translated: I flourish again.
For more information on the last name maxwell, the PDF Surname History is available for purchase as well as other products.
Suggested Readings for the name maxwell
* Ancestors by William Maxwell.
* Brandenburg-Maxwell, Brazelton-Lamb, Mitchell-Drake, Sanders-Killen by Sarah G. Sitz.
Some noteworthy people of the name maxwell
* Brian Leigh Maxwell (1953-2004), Canadian athlete, track coach, entrepreneur and philanthropist, was the founder of PowerBar (energy and nutritional bar)
* Gavin Maxwell (1914-1969), Scottish naturalist and author
* Ian Robert Maxwell (1923-1991), Czechoslovakian born British media proprietor and Member of Parliament
* Lois Maxwell (1927-2007), Canadian born actress, best known for her role as Miss Moneypenny in 14 James Bond movies between 1962 and 1985
* Stewart Maxwell (b. 1963), Member of the Scottish Parliament
* William Hamilton Maxwell (1792-1850), Scottish/Irish novelist
* James Clerk Maxwell (1831-1879), Scottish physicist
* Technician Fifth Grade Robert D Maxwell, who was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1944
Please be aware that there is more than one coat of arms for this surname. If you would like this particular coat of arms, you must describe it on your order form. If you don't describe it on your order form, we will provide you with the oldest coat of arms on record for this surname, which may or may not be the one pictured above.
Also, the heraldry images on this website are copyrighted. Please email me if you would like permission to use the image pictured above on a website.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).