The surname of LOVE was a baptismal name 'the son of Love', an early and popular font name. It was a name that was favoured by the Puritans. The name was derived from the Old English LUFU 'love', a popular and widely distributed woman's name. Early records of the name mention Radulphus filius Luue, 1176, County Norfolk. Galfridus filius Love of the County of Norfolk was recorded in the year 1208. Peter Love of the County of Essex and London was documented in 1255. Nathaniel Love of Wiltshire, registered at Oxford University in the year 1581. Love Hewlett, daughter of Mr and Mrs Hewlett was baptised in County Norfolk, in the year 1660. The bulk of European surnames in countries such as England and France were formed in the 13th and 14th centuries. The process started earlier and continued in some places into the 19th century, but the norm is that in the 11th century people did not have surnames, whereas by the 15th century they did. Before the 1066 Conquest names were rare in England, the few examples found were mainly adopted by those of the clergy or one who had taken holy orders. In 1086 the conquering Duke William of Normandy commanded the Domesday Book. He wanted to know what he had and who held it, and the Book describes Old English society under its new management in minute detail. It was then that surnames began to be taken for the purposes of tax-assessment. The nobles and the upper classes were first to realise the prestige of a second name, but it was not until the 15th century that most people had acquired a second name. The name was taken to Ireland in the 17th century, a numerous name in County Derry, as MacGraith in Irish. Ireland was one of the earliest countries to evolve a system of hereditary surnames. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face, and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield and embroidered on his surcoat, the flowing and draped garment worn over the armour. They came into being fairly generally in the eleventh century, and indeed a few were formed before the year 1000.
The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).