Lanham Jackson Coat of Arms / Lanham Jackson Family Crest
LANHAM was a locational name 'of Langham', parishes in Ely, Peterborough, St. Albans and Norwich - meaning the long homestead. Early records of the name mention William de Langham of the County of Suffolk in 1273. Henry de Longeham of the County of Wiltshire in 1273. Dionis de Langham of the county of Norfolk in 1340. Edward Langham of the County of Northampton, was registered at Oxford University in 1621. Early records of the name JACKSON mention Robert filius Jake, 1273 County Cambridge. Johannes Jakson of Yorkshire was listed in the Yorkshire Poll tax of 1379. Baptised, John, son of Thomas Jacson, at Kensington Church, London, in the year 1547. Married, Steven Roodes and Margaret Jakson,1582, ibid. Surnames as we know them today were first assumed in Europe from the 11th until the 15th century. They had not been in use in England before the Invasion of William the Conqueror in 1066, when they were introduced into England by the Normans. They themselves had not long before adopted them. It became, in course of time, a mark of gentler blood, and it was deemed a disgrace for a gentleman to have but one single name, as the meaner sort. It was not until the reign of Edward II (1307-1327) that it became general practice for all people. The names introduced into Britain by the Normans during and in the wake of the Invasion of 1066, are nearly all territorial in origin. The followers of William the Conqueror were a pretty mixed lot, and while some of them brought the names of their castles and villages in Normandy with them, many were adventurers of different nationalities attached to William's standard by the hope of plunder, and possessing no family or territorial names of their own. Those of them who acquired lands in England were called by their manors, while others took the name of the offices they held or the military titles given to them, and sometimes, a younger son of a Norman landowner, on receiving a grant of land in his new home dropped his paternal name and adopted that of his newly acquired property. The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms 1884
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).