Spelling variations of this family name include: Knollys, Knoll, Knolle, Knolles, Knowles, Knowlys and others.
First found in Yorkshire where they were seated from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Hansard Knollys, who came to New Hampshire in 1630; Henry Knowles settled in Salem, Mass. in 1635; John Knowles settled in the Barbados in 1635; as did Thomas Knowles.
(Above is a small excerpt from our 1800 word history)
Suggested Readings for the name Knowles
Descendants & Antecedents of Darius Daniel Knowles by Beverly Metzger, Descendants of John Knowles by Virginia Knowles Hufbauer.
Some noteworthy people of the name Knowles
* John Knowles (1926-2001), American Writer
* Anthony Carroll "Tony" Knowles (b. 1943), American, politician and businessman, Governor of Alaska (1994-2002)
* William S Knowles (b. 1917), American chemist, who shared the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 2001
* Warren Perley Knowles (1908-1993), American politician, Governor of Wisconsin from 1965-1971
* Sir James Knowles (1831-1908), English architect and editor
* Stanley Howard Knowles (1908-1997), Canadian politcian and Clergyman, member of the Canadian Parliament
* Sir Richard Marchant "Dick" Knowles (1917-2008), a British politician
Please be aware that there is more than one coat of arms for this surname. If you would like this particular coat of arms, you must describe it on your order form. If you don't describe it on your order form, we will provide you with the oldest coat of arms on record for this surname, which may or may not be the one pictured above.
Also, the heraldry images on this website are copyrighted. Please email me if you would like permission to use the image pictured above on a website.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).