Where did the English Joseph family come from? What is the English coat of arms/family crest? When did the Joseph family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the history of the family name?
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Joseph family name include Joseph, Josephs, Josephson and others.
First found in Hampshire, where they were seated from ancient times.
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland, the Canadas, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Joseph surname or a spelling variation of the name include : one Joseph who sailed to Nantasket, Mass. in 1630; Tobias Joseph to South Carolina in 1741; Captain Joseph to Boston in 1768; Henry Joseph to America in 1772 and M.
Suggested Readings for the name Joseph
* An Account of Joseph and Abrahams Families in America by Marc Allan Austen.
Some noteworthy people of the name Joseph
* Jackie Joseph (b. 1934), American comedy actress, remembered for her role in the original 'Little Shop of Horrors'
* John Joseph, three-time Academy Award and seven time Golden Globe winning American film actor
* Quinton Joseph (b. 1946), American rhythm and blues artist
* Salvatore Joseph, American jazz pianist and composer
* Thomas Joseph, American lawyer and politician, who served in Vietnam War 1969-1970, was governor of Pennsylvania 1995-2001, and the 1st Secretary of Homeland Security 2003-
* Curtis Joseph (b. 1967), Canadian ice hockey goaltender who plays in the National Hockey league
* Nathan Joseph (b. 1939), British rock artist, owned and operatedf Transatlantic Records
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).