Spelling variations of this family name include: James, Fitzjames, St. James, Jaimes, Geames and many more.
First found in Surrey where they were granted lands by William the Conqueror after the Norman Conquest in 1066.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Edmund James, who settled in Salem Mass. in 1630; Blanch James, a servant sent to Barbados in 1658; David James, who came to Nevis in 1661; Abel James, who arrived in Maryland in 1670.
(Above is a small excerpt from our 1800 word history)
Motto Translated: I love forever.
Suggested Readings for the name James
James Families of America Since 1630 by Wynne James, The James Family of Wales and Bucks County, Pennsylvania, 1638-1974 by Wynne James.
Some noteworthy people of the name James
* Alex James, English musician
* James James (c.1747-1804), Scottish journalist and scientist
* Henry James (1843-1916), American author
* James James (1920-), American actor
* William James (1842-1910), American philosopher
* Zee James (c.1874), American wife of Jesse James
* Clive James (1930-), Aus/Br TV personality
* Dennis James (1917-), American actor
* Skip James (1902-1969), American blues musician
* Arthur Lloyd James (1884-1943), Welsh phonetician
* Cyril Lionel Robert James (1901-1989), Trin writer
* Eric John Francis James (1909-), English educational administrator
* George Payne Rainsford James (1799-1860), English novelist
* Henry James (1828-1911), English lawyer
* Montague Rhodes James (1862-1936), English scholar
* Phyliss Dorothy James (1920-), English original name of P D James
* Robert James (1705-1776), English physician
* William James (d. 1827), English naval historian
* Jesse Dingus Woodson James (1847-1882), American outlaw
* Zerelda Cole James (19th c), American mother of robbers Frank and Jesse James
* P D James (1920-), English writer
* Peter James (1948-), English author
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).