Where did the English Ingram family come from? What is the English coat of arms/family crest? When did the Ingram family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the history of the family name?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ingram, Ingraham, Ingrome, Ingrum and others.
First found in Northumberland where they were seated from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Edward Ingraham settled in Boston in 1635; John Ingram settled in Virginia in 1652; Richard Ingram settled in the same year, along with Toby; Archibald, Henry, Isaac, John and William Ingram all arrived in Pennsylvania between 1840 and 1860.
Motto Translated: Be great of mind.
Suggested Readings for the name Ingram
* The Descendants of Jonas Ingram and Melinda Butler by James Barry Bingham.
* Rhodes-Barnett and Mitchusson-Ingram by Norma Rhodes Ladd.
Some noteworthy people of the name Ingram
* Erskine Bronson Ingram (1931-1995), American businessman and billionaire, long time head of Ingram Industries
* Rex Ingram (1895-1969), African American film and stage actor best known for his role in "The Thief of Bagdad" (1940).
* Collingwood "Cherry" Ingram (1880-1981), English ornithologist and botanist
* David Ingram (b. 1945), Ph.D., Professor of Health Informatics and Director of the Centre for Health Informatics and Multiprofessional Education, University College London
* George Morby Ingram (1889-1961), Australian recipient of the Victoria Cross, the highest and most prestigious award for gallantry in the face of the enemy that can be awarded to British and Commonwealth forces.
* James C. Ingram, philanthropist director of the Australian Institute for International Affairs and former executive director of the UN World Food Program.
* Vernon M Ingram (1924-2006), Ph.D., long time German professor of biology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and sometimes referred to as the "The father of Molecular Medicine". He was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 2002.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).