Where did the Scottish Hutchinson family come from? What is the Scottish coat of arms/family crest? When did the Hutchinson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the history of the family name?
The name Hutchinson was first used by Viking settlers in ancient Scotland. It was derived from Huchon, a diminutive form of Hugh. Patronymic surnames arose out of the vernacular and religious given name traditions. This name is the equivalent of Hugh in the vernacular of Scotland. The suffix son indicates "son of."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hutchinson, Hutchenson and others.
First found in Northumberland where they were seated from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Edward Hutchinson, who settled in Boston in 1634; with Mary his wife; Richard Hutchinson settled in Salem in 1630; along with Thomas; Joe Hutchinson settled in Virginia in 1634.
For more information on the last name Hutchinson, the PDF Surname History is available for purchase as well as other products.
Some noteworthy people of the name Hutchinson
* Seth Hutchinson, Ph.D., American Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Associate Head for Undergraduate Affairs at the University of Illinois
* Norman C Hutchinson, Ph.D., Canadian Associate Professor of Computer Science at the University of British Columbia
* Ian Hutchinson, Ph.D., Canadian Professor of Geography at Simon Fraser University
* Nancy L Hutchinson, Ph.D., Canadian Professor of Education at Queens University
* Allan Hutchinson, Associate Dean of Research and Graduate Studies at York University's Osgoode Hall Law School
Please be aware that there is more than one coat of arms for this surname. If you would like this particular coat of arms, you must describe it on your order form. If you don't describe it on your order form, we will provide you with the oldest coat of arms on record for this surname, which may or may not be the one pictured above.
Also, the heraldry images on this website are copyrighted. Please email me if you would like permission to use the image pictured above on a website.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).