Where did the English house family come from? What is the English coat of arms/family crest? When did the house family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the history of the family name?
One relatively recent invention that did much to standardize English spelling was the printing press. However, before its invention even the most literate people recorded their names according to sound rather than spelling. The spelling variations under which the name house has appeared include House, Howse, Howes, Hoose, Hows, Houser, Hooser and others.
First found in Berkshire, where the family was seated from ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
At this time, the shores of the New World beckoned many English families that felt that the social climate in England was oppressive and lacked opportunity for change. Thousands left England at great expense in ships that were overcrowded and full of disease. A great portion of these settlers never survived the journey and even a greater number arrived sick, starving, and without a penny. The survivors, however, were often greeted with greater opportunity than they could have experienced back home. These English settlers made significant contributions to those colonies that would eventually become the United States and Canada. An examination of early immigration records and passenger ship lists revealed that people bearing the name house arrived in North America very early: Mary, Jane, Thomas and William House, who all settled in Virginia in 1654; Hester, Elizabeth, Rebecca, and Roger House, who all immigrated to the Barbados in 1663.
Motto Translated: The fortune of the house remains.
Suggested Readings for the name house
* House-Brown and Related Families: The Lineages of Charles Staver House (1908- ) and Virginia Brown (1911- ) Who Were Married August 5, 1938 by Charles Staver House.
* The House Family Tree and Some of It's [sic] Branches by Ardis Phillips Rasperger.
Some noteworthy people of the name house
* Donald House, Ph.D., American Professor of Visualization Sciences at Texas A&M University
* Edward Mandell House (1858-1938), American diplomat who helped draw up the covenant of the League of Nations.
* Edward Mandell House (1858-1938), American diplomat.
* Harry House, American Data Center Leader with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
* David House, Ph.D., Swedish Professor of acoustic and phonetic analysis at the Royal Institute of Technology
* General Sir David House,
* Donald House, Judge
* Ven. Francis House,
* Harry House, Master of Wellington College
* John House, Ph.D., British Professor of Art at the Courtauld Institute
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).