Spelling variations of this family name include: Hanson, Hansom and others.
First found in Yorkshire where they were seated from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: John Hanson, who settled in Maryland in 1691; Samuel Hanson settled in the Barbados in 1679; Simon Hanson arrived in New York in 1687; Charles, Frederick, James, John, Joseph, Peter, Robert, Samuel, Thomas and William Hanson all arrived in Philadelphia between 1770 and 1860.
(Above is a small excerpt from our 1800 word history)
Suggested Readings for the name Henson
A Henson Family History in Early America and Their Revolutionary War Soldiers, 1725-18500 by A.L. Henson, The Story of Philip G. Henson of Wayne County, Illinois by Beulah Reed May.
Some noteworthy people of the name Henson
* Jim Henson (1936-1990), American puppeteer, creator of the Muppets
* Josiah Henson (1789-1883), famed fugitive American slave, founder of the Dawn Settlement
* Matthew Henson (1866-1955), an American explorer, member of the Robert Peary expedition in 1909
* Leslie Henson (1891-1957), English comedian, actor, film producer
* William Samuel Henson (1812-1888), English aviation engineer and inventor
* Gavin Henson (b. 1982), Welsh Rugby Union player
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).