Heckingbottom Coat of Arms / Heckingbottom Family Crest
This surname was a locational name 'of Higginbottom' a small spot now obsolete in the neighbourhood of Marple and Macclesfield in East Cheshire. The history of the placename is somewhat confused but it is probably composed of the elements AECEN (oaken) and BOTME (broad valley) literally meaning 'the dweller in the hollow or lowland where Higgin lived'. Early records of the name mention Alexander de Akinbothum, 1246, Lancashire and John Hyginbotham appears in County Yorkshire in the year 1300. Mary Higginbotham of Yorkshire was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. Nicholas Hichinbothome (gent) of Marple Cheshire was listed in the Wills at Chester in 1579. Joseph Higenbotom and Sarah Bacon were married at St. George's, Hanover Square, London in the year 1762. Since the dawn of civilisation the need to communicate has been a prime drive of all higher mankind. The more organised the social structure became, the more urgent the need to name places, objects and situations essential to the survival and existence of the social unit. From this common stem arose the requirements to identify families, tribes and individual members evolving into a pattern in evidence today. In the formation of this history, common usage of customs, trades, locations, patronymic and generic terms were often adopted as surnames. The demands of bureaucracy formally introduced by feudal lords in the 11th century, to define the boundaries and families within their fiefdoms, crystallized the need for personal identification and accountability, and surnames became in general use from this time onwards. Between the 11th and 15th centuries it became customary for surnames to be assumed in Europe, although they were not commonplace in England or Scotland before the Norman Conquest of 1066. Those of gentler blood, particularly those who had been on the Crusades, assumed surnames at this time, but it was not until the reign of Edward II (1327-1327) that it became common practice for all people. The associated coat of arms is recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884.