Home
coat of arms shopping cart

128 bit SSL Encrypted Secure Shopping

ecommerce provided by Yahoo! Small Business

family crests

heraldry

bbb secure safe

Coat of Arms & Family Crests Store

Heaviside Coat of Arms / Heaviside Family Crest

The surname of HEAVISIDE was a locational name from a now extinct place of the name in County Derbyshire. The name was rendered in Old English as HEVESIDE. The earliest of the name on record appears to be HEVESIDE(without surname) who was recorded in 1185 County Derbyshire. Local surnames, by far the largest group, derived from a place name where the man held land or from the place from which he had come, or where he actually lived. These local surnames were originally preceded by a preposition such as "de", "atte", "by" or "in". The names may derive from a manor held, from working in a religious dwelling or from literally living by a wood or marsh or by a stream. Later instances of the name mention Mathew de Hauersigge, who was recorded in 1190 in County Yorkshire, and William Heavside of Yorkshire, was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. Surnames as we know them today were first assumed in Europe from the 11th to the 15th Century. They were not in use in England or in Scotland before the Norman Conquest, and were first found in the Domesday Book. The employment in the use of a second name was a custom that was first introduced from the Normans. They themselves had not long before adopted them. It became, in course of time, a mark of gentler blood, and it was deemed a disgrace for gentlemen to have but one single name, as the meaner sort had. It was not until the reign of Edward II (1307-1327) it became general practice amongst all people. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face, and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield and embroidered on his surcoat, the flowing and draped garment worn over the armour. The associated coat of arms is recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884. Confirmed to John Burrowes Heaviside Esq, of Terenure, County Dublin, only son of John Heaviside Esq of 13 Holles Street, Merion Square, Dublin, and grandson of John Heaviside of Dublin, Merchant.

Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S.
(Use coupon code: FREESHIP).



VIEW OUR GIFT ITEMS HERE

OUR SHIPPING IS ONLY $9.95 NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU ORDER !



last updated on: July 15th, 2014

family shield, code of arms, genealogy