The surname of HEAVIN was a baptismal name 'the son of Evand' a Welsh personal name, a form of John, dating from the fifteenth century. The first form of the name appears to be Jevon, then Yevan. The name is also spelt HEAVEN, EVAN, EVANSON, HEEVAN and HEVANS. The name is found in Ireland as O'hEimhin, brought to Ormond by settlers. Ireland was one of the earliest countries to evolve a system of hereditary surnames. They came into being fairly generally in the 11th century, and indeed a few were formed before the year 1000. Early records of the name mention Howell ap Heaven who was documented in the year 1500 in Wales. Buried - John, son of William Evans, St. Michael, Cornhill, London in 1630. James Yates married Jane Evans, 1788, St. Georges, Hanover Square, London. The name was in Scotland, again taken by settlers and in 1695, an Act of Parliament was passed to allow Evan MacGregor, a merchant in Edinburgh, to retain the name McGregor on condition that his children became Evanson. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face, and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield, and embroidered on his surcoat, the draped and flowing garment worn over the armour. In 1066 Duke William of Normandy conquered England. He was crowned King, and most of the lands of the English nobility were soon granted to his followers. Domesday Book was compiled 20 years later. The Saxon Chronicle records that in 1085 'at Gloucester at midwinter, the King had deep speech with his counsellors, and sent men all over England to each shire to find out, what or how much each landowner held in land and livestock, and what it was worth. The returns were brought to him'. William was thorough. One of his Counsellors reports that he also sent a second set of Commissioners 'to shires they did not know and where they were themselves unknown, to check their predecessors' survey, and report culprits to the King'. The information was collected at Winchester, corrected, abridged, and copied by one single writer into a single volume. Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex were copied, by several writers into a second volume. The whole undertaking was completed at speed, in less than 12 months.