Where did the English Hartley family come from? What is the English coat of arms/family crest? When did the Hartley family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the history of the family name?
The beginnings of the name Hartley are in the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture. It comes from when they lived in the village of Hartley which was in several English counties including Berkshire, Devon, Dorset, Kent, Lancashire, York and Northumberland. This place-name was originally derived from the Old English words hart which means a stag and lea which means a wood or clearing.
Spelling variations in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Hartley have been found, including Hartley, Hartly, Hartlay, Hartlaye, Hartlie, Hertley, Hertly, Hertlay, Hertelay, Hertheley, Hertleye, Hertlegh, Hartleigh and many more.
First found in Lancashire, where they were seated from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America bore the name Hartley, or a variant listed above: William Hartley, who settled in Virginia in 1623; Jeremy Hartley, aged 30; and Christopher Hartlie, aged 19; who settled in Barbados in 1635; Thomas Hartley, who settled in Virginia in 1642.
Suggested Readings for the name Hartley
* Blue Ridge Mountain Kinfolk: A Record of Ancestors, Descendants, and Relatives of the Author and Wife, Including Fisher-Gilbert-Hall-Hartley-Hill-King-Kirby-Lawson Families by Larry King.
* Richardson-Hartley-Arender and Related Families; a List of the Known Descendants of Elijah Richardson of Tennessee and Frank Hartley of South Carolina, Both of Whom Moved t Mississippi About 1815 by Thomas F. Richardson.
Some noteworthy people of the name Hartley
* Sir Harold Brewer Hartley (1878-1972), renowned English chemist
* Leslie Poles Hartley (1895-1972), English novelist and critic
* Brian Hartley, scientist
* Sir Christopher Hartley, Air Marshal
* Eric Hartley, Canadian engineer
* Frank Hartley, British Chemist
* Frank Hartley, British chemist.