Spelling variations of this family name include: Hamilton, Hamelton, Hameldon, Hamildon, Hamylton, Hambleton and many more.
First found in Renfrewshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Rinn Frił), a historic county of Scotland, today encompassing the Council Areas of Renfrew, East Renfrewshire, and Iverclyde, in the Strathclyde region of southwestern Scotland, where they were granted lands by King Robert the Bruce of Scotland.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: David Hamilton settled in Boston in 1651; Mathew Hamilton settled in New England in 1685; William Hamilton settled in Grenada in 1774; Charles, Henry, James, John, Joseph, Mathew, Patrick, Robert, Samuel, Thomas and William Hamilton all arrived in Philadelphia between 1800 and 1860.
Suggested Readings for the name Hamilton
Celena (Lena) Jane Russell Smith (also Hamilton), Her Ancestors, Descendants, and Collateral Kinsmen by Matthew Lee McHugh and Celena Russell Smith McHugh, Hamilton Kin of Martha Mat Tucker by Duard Arnold Tucker.
Some noteworthy people of the name Hamilton
* Tyler Hamilton (b. 1971), American professional road bicycle racer
* Bobby Hamilton (1958-2007), American NASCAR driver who won the 2001 Talladega 500
* Alexander Hamilton (1757-1804), American (Nevis born) Revolutionary War Figure and politician, first U.S. Secretary of the Treasury (1789-1795)
* Sir William Hamilton (1788-1856), Scottish philosopher
* Leopoldo Escudero Hamilton (b. 1922), Mexican mechanical engineer
* Patrick Hamilton (1904-1962), English playwright and novelist
* Sir William Rowan Hamilton (1805-1855), Irish Astronomer and mathematician
* Major Pierpont M Hamilton, who was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1942
* Sir William Hamilton (1730-1803), British diplomat and archaeologist, ambassador to Naples (1764-1800)
* Sir Ian Standish Monteith Hamilton (1853-1947), British general
* Sir Charles "Bill" Hamilton (1899-1978), New Zealand Engineer, who developed the modern jetboat
Please be advised that there is more than one Hamilton coat of arms. If you would like this particular Hamilton Family Crest, you must describe it on your order form. If you don't describe it on your order form, we will provide you with the oldest coat of arms on record for this surname, which may or may not be the one pictured above.
Also, the heraldry images on this website are copyrighted. Please email me if you would like permission to use the image pictured above on a website.