Spelling variations of this family name include: Guthrie, Guthree, Lahiff, Guttrie and others.
First found in Forfar where they were seated from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Robert Guthrie who settled in New England in 1651; Thomas Guthrie with his wife and seven children settled in Savannah Georgia in 1774; Henry Guthree settled in New York in 1820.
(Above is a small excerpt from our 1800 word history)
Motto Translated: I stand for the truth.
Suggested Readings for the name Guthrie
"Guthery (also Guthrie): Henry-David-William and Their Descendants of Cullman County, Alabama" by Ima Gene Boyd, "Guthrie History" by Mable Hazel Guthrie.
Some noteworthy people of the name Guthrie
* James Guthrie (1859-1930), Scottish painter
* Samuel Guthrie (1782-1848), American chemist
* Thomas Guthrie (1803-1873), Scottish clergyman
* William Tyrone Guthrie (1900-1971), English theatrical producer
* Woodrow Wilson Guthrie (1912-1067), American original name of woody Guthrie
* Arlo Guthrie (1947-), American singer
* Woody Guthrie (1912-1067), American folk-singer
* Thomas Antsey Guthrie (1856-1934), English writer
Please be advised that there is usually more than one coat of arms for a surname. If you would like this particular Bookplate Family Crest, you must describe it on your order form. If you don't describe it on your order form, we will provide you with the oldest coat of arms on record for this surname, which may or may not be the one pictured above.
Also, the heraldry images on this website are copyrighted. Please email me if you would like permission to use the image pictured above on a website.
Many Scottish Clan Crest / Scottish Clan Badge Items available on our website.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).