Glendinning Coat of Arms / Glendinning Family Crest
This surname was from the lands of the name in Westkirk, Dumfriesshire. A charter was granted by John Macgill to Adam de Glendonwyn of all his part of the land and baronies of Clifton and Merbotel in the shire of Roxburgh prior to 1286. William de Glendonwyn appears as rector of Crawfurjon in 1450 and as canon of the church of Glasgow in 1467. Symon of Glendnwyn was one of the conservators of the truce between Scotland and England in 1451. In 1578 the Glenduningis were named among the unruly clans on the West March. The direct line is said to have ended in 1720, although a William Glendonwyn of that Ilk is mentioned in 1798. The first people in Scotland to acquire fixed surnames were the nobles and great landowners, who called themselves, or were called by others, after the lands they possessed. Surnames originating in this way are known as territorial. Formerly lords of baronies and regalities and farmers were inclined to magnify their importance and to sign letters and documents with the names of their baronies and farms instead of their Christian names and surnames. The abuse of this style of speech and writing was carried so far that an Act was passed in the Scots parliament in 1672 forbidding the practice and declaring that it was allowed only to noblemen and bishops to subscribe by their titles. Since the dawn of civilisation the need to communicate has been a prime drive of all higher mankind. The more organised the social structure became, the more urgent the need to name places, objects and situations essential to the survival and existence of the social unit. From this common stem arose the requirements to identify families, tribes and individual members evolving into a pattern in evidence today. In the formation of this history, common usage of customs, trades, locations, patronymic and generic terms were often adopted as surnames. The demands of bureaucracy formally introduced by feudal lords in the 11th century, to define the boundaries and families within their fiefdoms, crystallized the need for personal identification and accountability, and surnames became in general use from this time onwards.
The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884.