The surname of GILLMOR was a locational name 'of Gilmoor' a hamlet in the parish of Bishop Thornton in County Yorkshire. Local names usually denoted where a man held his land, and indicated where he actually lived. Early records of the name mention Gilamore filius Gilandi, who was documented in County Cumberland in the year 1100. Sometime between the year 1133 and 1156, Gilmore, son of Gilander, founded the chapelry of Treverman, in the parish of Walton, County Cumberland. The chapel was constructed of wattlework, and on its completion Gilmor appointed his kinsman Gillemore, to be the chaplaincy. Another Gillemor, possessed the lands of Fincurroks in the beginning of the 12th century, and sometime before 1144 Gillemore filius Gilleconel, granted half a mark of silver to the church in Lesmahagow. Gillemore Ruadh witnessed a charter in 1250, and Gillechad Gillamore witnessed a grant of lands in 1304. Alba, the country which became Scotland, was once shared by four races; the Picts who controlled most of the land north of the Central Belt; the Britons, who had their capital at Dumbarton and held sway over the south west, including modern Cumbria; the Angles, who were Germanic in origin and annexed much of the Eastern Borders in the seventh century, and the Scots. The latter came to Alba from the north of Ireland late in the 5th century to establish a colony in present day Argyll, which they named Dalriada, after their homeland. The Latin name SCOTTI simply means a Gaelic speaker. Most of the European surnames were formed in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. The process had started somewhat earlier and had continued in some places into the 19th century, but the norm is that in the tenth and eleventh centuries people did not have surnames, whereas by the fifteenth century most of the population had acquired a second name.
The name was taken to Ireland by settlers and in Irish is Mac Giolla Mhuire. The name is numerous in Ulster. The name has many variant spellings which include Gilmour, Gillmor and Gillmore. The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).