Spelling variations of this family name include: Gaynor, Gainor, Gainer, Gaines, Gains, McGaynor and others.
First found in county Longford where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Samuel Gayner who settled in Virginia in 1663; Austin, Edward, James, John, Luke, Patrick, and Peter Gaynor, all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860.
(Above is a small excerpt from our 1800 word history)
Suggested Readings for the name Gaines
A Compilation of Gaines Family Data, With Special Emphasis on the Lineage of William And Isabella (Pendleton) Gaines by Calvin E. Sutherd, Tinsley et al: The Ancestry of My Four Honored Grandparents, William Julian Tinsley, Georgia Ann Gaines, William Henry Clarke, Jennie Elizabeth Lavendar, Including the Families of Ballard by William Elson Tinsley.
Some noteworthy people of the name Gaines
* Clarence Llewellyn Gaines, American lawyer and civic official
* Frank Pendleton Gaines, American engineer from Chicago
* Ernest J Gaines, American novelist and short story writer
* La Donna Andrea Gaines (b. 1948), original name of American Donna Summers
* Chryste Gaines, American athlete
* John Marshall Gaines, New York chemist in 1902
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).