Home
coat of arms shopping cart

128 bit SSL Encrypted Secure Shopping

ecommerce provided by Yahoo! Small Business

family crests

heraldry

Coat of Arms & Family Crests Store

Flood Coat of Arms / Flood Family Crest

Flood Coat of Arms / Flood Family Crest

Some Floods are of English extraction, but in Ireland they are mainly O'Maoltuile or Mac Maoltuile, abbreviated to Mac an Tuile and Mac Tuile. In parts of Ulster the name Flood is by Welsh settlers who originally had the name Floyd. In England the name was locational meaning 'the dweller by the stream' and was derived from the Old English word 'flod'. The names of habitation are derived from pre-existing names denoting towns, villages, farmsteads or other named habitations. Other classes of local names include those derived from the names of rivers, individual houses with signs on them, regions and in fact whole countries. As a general rule, the further someone travelled from his place of origin, the broader the designation. Someone who stayed at home might be known by the name of his farm or locality in the parish; someone who moved to another town might be known by the name of his village; while someone who moved to another county could acquire the name of the county or region from which he originated. Early records of the name mention Wigot de la Flode, 1198, Berkshire. Roger Flod was documented in the year 1200 in Warwickshire. When the sparse Irish population began to increase it became necessary to broaden the base of personal identification by moving from single names to a more definite nomenclature. The prefix MAC was given to the father's christian name, or O to that of a grandfather or even earlier ancestor. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield and embroidered on his surcoat, the draped and flowing garment worn over the armour.

The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884. The arms were granted in 1839 to William Lloyd of Farmley, County Kilkenny on his assuming, by Royal Licence the additional name of Flood, by desire of John Flood Esq, of Flood Hall, County Kilkenny.


Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S.
(Use coupon code: FREESHIP).



VIEW OUR GIFT ITEMS HERE

OUR SHIPPING IS ONLY $11.95 NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU ORDER !



last updated on: April 3rd, 2017

keywords: history, origin, family shield, code of arms, genealogy, escudo, wappen, heraldic, clan, badge, shields, coats, irish, scottish, german, french, italian, spanish, welsh, heraldique, dutch, swiss, hungarian, polish