FLEMING families were any native of Flanders, and the name was derived from the Latin FLANDRENSIS. The name was brought into England and Scotland during the Norman Invasion of 1066 and several of the name appear on record in the second half of the 12th century in Scotland, and large territories in the Upper Ward of Lanarksire were later in possession of a family of the name. Their residence was Boghall Castle near Biggar. Theobald the Fleming has a grant of land on the Douglas Water from the Abbot of Kelso between 1140 and 1160, and appears to be the first of the name on record. Jordan Fleming was taken prisoner at Alnwick along with William the Lion in 1174. Matheus de Flandre Fleming witnessed a charter in Paisley in the year 1300. Scotland in the 12th century. An interesting member of the name was Sir Sandford Fleming (1827-1915) the Scots born Canadian railway engineer born in Kirkcaldy. He went to Canada in 1845, and became chief engineer of the Inter-colonial Railway, and of Canadian Pacific Railway between 1872 and 1880. He surveyed several famous routes including Yellowhead and Kicking Horse passes.
An eminent member of the name was Sir Alexander Fleming (1881-1955) was the discoverer in 1928 of penicillin. In 1928, quite by chance he noticed a curious mould, penicillin. He was unheeded by colleagues and without sufficient chemical knowledge, he had to wait eleven years before two brilliant experimentalists, Howard Flory and Ernst Chain, perfected a method of producing the drug. They shared the 1945 Nobel prize for medicine. Fleming was appointed professor of bacteriology at London in 1938. In many parts of central and western Europe, hereditary surnames began to become fixed at around the 12th century, and have developed and changed slowly over the years. As society became more complex, and such matters as the management of tenure, and in particular the collection of taxes were delegated to special functionaries, it became imperative to distinguish a more complex system of nomenclature to differentiate one individual from another. Arms recorded in Burkes General Armory. Registered at Cunbernauld; Earl of Wigtoun; The title has been dormant since 1747.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).