The surname of The name FARR was taken early to Ireland by settlers, where the name is rendered in Gaelic as O'Fearghuis. The name was originally an old West Riding surname. Its origin is uncertain. Fayrher occurs in Cambridgeshire in the 13th century, whilst de Ferar or de Ferrar is found in Derbyshire, Devonshire and Oxfordshire. Early records of the name mention Willelmus le Ferr, of Yorkshire, listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. Thomas Farrour was documented in the County of Lancashire in the year 1400. William Farar, chaplain, was a charter witness in 1491 in Aberdeen. John Farar was documented in Inverness in the year of 1559. Thomas Fayhar had a lease of part of the lands of Craigmakeran in 1558. The name has many variant spellings which include Farrar and Farrer. Ireland was one of the earliest countries to evolve a system of hereditary surnames. They mainly came into being in the 11th century, although indeed a few were formed before the year 1000.
The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884. (Farre). The origin of badges and emblems, are traced to the earliest times, although, Heraldry, in fact, cannot be traced later than the 12th century, or at furthest the 11th century. At first armorial bearings were probably like surnames and assumed by each warrior at his free will and pleasure, his object being to distinguish himself from others. It has long been a matter of doubt when bearing Coats of Arms first became hereditary. It is known that in the reign of Henry V (1413-1422), a proclamation was issued, prohibiting the use of heraldic ensigns to all who could not show an original and valid right, except those 'who had borne arms at Agincourt'. The College of Arms (founded in 1483) is the Royal corporation of heralds who record proved pedigrees and grant armorial bearings.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).