The surname of DICKEY was a baptismal name 'the son of Richard' which was derived from the Old German 'Ricard' a font name meaning powerful and brave. The name was introduced into England by the Normans during the Norman Conquest of 1066, and was usually Latinized as Ricardus in medieval documents. This is the English form of the Scottish Dickson, a border surname. Thomas Dicson was the faithful follower of the Douglas in the uprise and capture of Castle Douglas on Palm Sunday in the year 1307. William Dykounsonne, was documented in the year 1366 in County Lancashire. Laurence Dikensoune was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. Andrew Dicsoun was recorded as holding land in Edinburgh in 1400. The names introduced into Britain by the Normans during and in the wake of the Invasion of 1066, are nearly all territorial in origin. The followers of William the Conqueror were a pretty mixed lot, and while some of them brought the names of their castles and villages in Normandy with them, many were adventurers of different nationalities attached to William's standard by the hope of plunder, and possessing no family or territorial names of their own. Those of them who acquired lands in England were called by their manors, while others took the name of the offices they held or the military titles given to them, and sometimes, a younger son of a Norman landowner, on receiving a grant of land in his new home dropped his paternal name and adopted that of his newly acquired property. Most of the European surnames were formed in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. The process had started somewhat earlier and had continued in some places into the 19th century, but the norm is that in the tenth and eleventh centuries people did not have surnames, whereas by the fifteenth century most of the population had acquired a second name.
Later instances of the name mention Robert Dickes and Elizabeth Sanders who were married at St. James's, Clerkenwell, London in the year 1668, and Edward Biges and Mary Dicke were married at the same church in 1669. The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).