The surname of DE LYNGE was a locational name 'the dweller at the ling' the heath or common. It was perhaps from Lyng in County Norfolk, that the original bearer took his name, and there is also a place of the name in County Somerset. The earliest of the name on record appears to be LENGEN, and was documented in the year 910 in County Somerset. The place LING in Norfolk was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1068. The names of habitation, which are the largest group, usually denoted where the original bearer of the name held and perhaps owned his land. These local surnames derive (with a few occasional exceptions) from English, Scottish or French places, and were originally preceded by a preposition such as 'atte' or 'bye'. The earliest local surnames of French origin are chiefly from Normandy, particularly from the departments of Calvados, Eure, Seine-Inferieure and La Manche, although some Frenchmen, arriving in England early acquired surnames from English places. Local names may derive from the manor held, the place of residence, and occasionally from a sign like an Inn or Tavern, or a particularly unusual shape of rock, hill, tree, stream or river. Other records of the name mention Henry atte Lyng, 1273 County Norfolk and Roger de Lyng was bailiff of Norwich in the year of 1370. Later instances of the name include James Bland (draper) and Ellen Ling (widow) who were married at St. Mary, Aldermary, London in the year 1579. Henry and John Ling were resident in Virginia in the United States in 1623. (Recorded in the Lists of Emigrants). A certain Ann Ling was buried at St. Antholin, London in 1661.
The lion depicted in the crest is the noblest of all wild beasts which is made to be the emblem of strength and valour, and is on that account the most frequently borne in Coat-Armour.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).