De La Puente Coat of Arms / De La Puente Family Crest
The name DE LA PUENTE was originally a French and Catalan topographic name for someone who lived near a bridge, rendered in medieval documents in the Latin form PONTIS, and was brought into England in the wake of the Norman Invasion of 1066. It has travelled widely in many various forms including PONT, PONTE, DEPONT, DUPONT, PONTI, DELPONTE and PONTICIELLO. Surnames derived from placenames are divided into two broad categories; topographic names and habitation names. Topographic names are derived from general descriptive references to someone who lived near a physical feature such as an oak tree, a hill, a stream or a church. Habitation names are derived from pre-existing names denoting towns, villages and farmsteads. Other classes of local names include those derived from the names of rivers, individual houses with signs on them, regions and whole countries. Early records of the name mention Alanus de Ponte who held a toft in Perth, circa 1250. Juliana de Ponte granted an annuity of 21 shillings to the convent of St. Catherine of Ayr in 1340. Robert Pont was Provost of Queen's College, Edinburgh in 1573. Robert Pont, a Venetian Protestant, fled to France and came into Scotland with James V, in the retinue of Queen Magdalene. The use of fixed surnames or descriptive names appears to have commenced in France about the year 1000, and such names were introduced into Scotland through the Normans a little over one hundred years later, although the custom of using them was by no means common for many years afterwards. During the reign of Malcolm Ceannmor (1057-1093) the latter directed his chief subjects, after the custom of other nations, to adopt surnames from their territorial possessions, and there created 'The first erlis that euir was in Scotland'. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face, and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield, and embroidered on his surcoat, the draped and flowing garment worn over the armour.The associated coat of arms for this name are recorded in J.B Rietstaps Armorial General. Illustrated by V & H.V Rolland's. This monumental work took 23 years to complete and 85,000 coats of Arms are included in this work.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).