This name DE FLEURY is of English and French/Norman origin. It was from the medieval given name FLEURI (originally in the Latin form FLORIUS) a derivative of the Roman family name Florus. This name was borne by a 3rd century saint who was martyred in Nicomedia under Decus. The name was probably brought into England in the wake of the Norman Invasion of 1066. Early records of the name mention Ranulf de Flury, who was documented in County Somerset in the year 1201, and Hugh de Flori appears in 1286, County Essex. During the Middle Ages, when people were unable to read or write, signs were needed for all visual identification. For several centuries city streets in Britain were filled with signs of all kinds, public houses, tradesmen and even private householders found them necessary. This was an age when there were no numbered houses, and an address was a descriptive phrase that made use of a convenient landmark. At this time, coats of arms came into being, for the practical reason that men went into battle heavily armed and were difficult to recognise. It became the custom for them to adorn their helmets with distinctive crests, and to paint their shields with animals and the like. Coats of arms accompanied the development of surnames, becoming hereditary in the same way. Later instances of the name mention Richard de Flory, who was the rector of Little Wreningham, County Norfolk in 1402, and Philip Florye and Catherine Bexewell were married in London in 1568 (no church given). James Flory and Elizabeth Marriott were married at St. Dionis Backchurch, London in the year 1729, and Daniel Willis wed Mary Ann Florey at St. George's, Hanover Square, London in 1809. Most of the European surnames were formed in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. The process had started somewhat earlier and had continued in some places into the 19th century, but the norm is that in the tenth and eleventh centuries people did not have surnames, whereas by the fifteenth century most of the population had acquired a second name. The associated coat of arms is recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884. (Flory).
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).