Spelling variations of this family name include: Cullen, Cullan, Cullane, O'Cullen, Cullain, Cullin, Cullon, McCullen, MacCullen, O'Cullane, Culen, Culan, Culain, Cullaine, Culaine, MacCulen, MacCollin, MacColin, O'Colen, O'Collen, O'Cuilin, O'Cuillin, O'Culane, O'Culen, O'Culhoon, O'Culloon, MacCullen, Cullain, Culon, Cullon, Culling and many more.
First found in county Wicklow where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Henry Cullen who settled in Boston Mass. in 1820; L. Cullen settled in Baltimore in 1820; Patrick Cullen settled in West New Jersey in 1772; the family also settled in New York and California in the 19th century. Popular Christian names of the settlers was Andrew, Bernerd, Charles, Daniel, Dennis, Edward, George, James, John, Michael, Owen, Patrick, Peter, Robert, Thomas, Walter, and William, and they settled mostly in Philadelphia between 1830 and 1870. William Cullen was a property owner in St. John's Newfoundland in 1794 and had been settled there for 17 years.
Suggested Readings for the name Cullen
"The Cullens of Sheboygan County Wisconsin, 1850-1900" by Katherin Cullen King.
Some noteworthy people of the name Cullen
* Countee Cullen (1903-1946), American poet and one of the leading figures of the "Harlem Renaissance"
* Brett Cullen, American film, T.V. and stage actor
* Countée Cullen (1903-1946), American poet
* Paul Cullen (1803-1878), Irish prelate
* Maurice Cullen (1866-1934), Canadian painter
* Rev. James Cullen, Missionary
* William Cullen (1710-1790), Scottish physician
* Baron Cullen Cullen of Ashborne,
Thank you for visiting our Cullen Coat of Arms Page.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).