Home
coat of arms shopping cart

128 bit SSL Encrypted Secure Shopping

ecommerce provided by Yahoo! Small Business

family crests

heraldry

Coat of Arms & Family Crests Store

Comyns Family Crest / Comyns Coat of Arms

Comyns Family Crest / Comyns Coat of Arms

The surname of COMYNS was of Norman origin and was a variant of the name Comin. The name was brought to England in the wake of the Norman Conquest of 1066. Many of the early names recorded in medieval documents denote noble families but many also indicate migration from the continent during, and in the wake of, the Norman invasion of 1066. There was a constant stream of merchants, workmen and others arriving in England during this time. In 1086 the Record of Great Inquisition of lands of England, their extent, value, ownership and liabilities was made by order of William The Conquerer. It is known as the Domesday Book. The earliest of the name on record appears to be COMYN (without surname) who was listed in this book. During the Middle Ages, when people were unable to read or write, signs were needed for all visual identification. For several centuries city streets in Britain were filled with signs of all kinds, public houses, tradesmen and even private householders found them necessary. This was an age when there were no numbered houses, and an address was a descriptive phrase that made use of a convenient landmark. At this time, coats of arms came into being, for the practical reason that men went into battle heavily armed and were difficult to recognise. It became the custom for them to adorn their helmets with distinctive crests, and to paint their shields with animals and the like. Coats of arms accompanied the development of surnames, becoming hereditary in the same way.

Other records of the name mention Admund le Comeyn, 1273 County Norfolk. Thomas Comyn, County Gloucestershire, 1300. This surname was taken to Ireland by settlers. Those of Irish stock descend from O'Connin or O'Comain. An O'Coimin sept in Connacht provided erenaghs for the church of St. Cuimin in County Mayo. Thomas Hendy and Mary Cumming were married at St. George's, Hanover Square, London in 1764.


Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S.
(Use coupon code: FREESHIP).



VIEW OUR GIFT ITEMS HERE

OUR SHIPPING IS ONLY $11.95 NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU ORDER !



Last Updated: May 9, 2020

keywords: history, historical, research, surname, origin, family shield, code of arms, genealogy, escudo, wappen, heraldic, clan, badge, shields, coats, irish, scottish, german, french, italian, spanish, welsh, heraldique, dutch, swiss, hungarian, polish, origins, shield, family, genealogical, escudo de armas, arms, armas, dutch, halberts, house of names, hall of names, hrc, historical research, swyrich, clan, crests, badge, crest, scottish, badges, clans, highland games