This English surname was taken or Ireland by settlers and has been prominent in Fermanagh since the Plantation of Ulster. Surnames as we know them today were first assumed in Europe from the 11th to the 15th Century. They were not in use in England or in Scotland before the Norman Conquest, and were first found in the Domesday Book. The employment in the use of a second name was a custom that was first introduced from the Normans. They themselves had not long before adopted them. It became, in course of time, a mark of gentler blood, and it was deemed a disgrace for gentlemen to have but one single name, as the meaner sort had. It was not until the reign of Edward II (1307-1327) it became general practice amongst all people. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served as a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face, and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield and embroidered on his surcoat, the flowing and draped garment worn over the armour. The surname of COLE was derived from the Old English word Col - a nickname for one with a swarthy complexion. Early records of the name mention Cole (without surname) who was listed as a tenant in the Domesday Book of 1086. Cole filius Lanteril, was documented in the year 1145 in the County of Kent. Johannes Cole of Yorkshire was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. Bazill Beconn married Anne Coale at St. Michael's, Cornhill, London in 1588. Thomas Coles and Honour Birde were married at the same church in the year 1665. The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884. Registered in County Kildare.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).