The surname of CHAPPELL was a locational name 'the dweller near the chapel'. Early records of the name mention John Capel, 1202 County Norfolk. Richard de la Chapele, 1296 Sussex. Johannes del Chapell of Yorkshire, was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. William Chappell and Margaret Heeley were married in London in the year 1671. Thomas, son of Thomas Chapel, was baptised at St. James's, Clerkenwell, London in the year 1689. William Kynford of Whitechapple (coachman) married Mary Jenkinson at St. Mary, Aldermary, in London in the year 1705. The names introduced into Britain by the Normans during and in the wake of the Invasion of 1066, are nearly all territorial in origin. The followers of William the Conqueror were a pretty mixed lot, and while some of them brought the names of their castles and villages in Normandy with them, many were adventurers of different nationalities attached to William's standard by the hope of plunder, and possessing no family or territorial names of their own. Those of them who acquired lands in England were called by their manors, while others took the name of the offices they held or the military titles given to them, and sometimes, a younger son of a Norman landowner, on receiving a grant of land in his new home dropped his paternal name and adopted that of his newly acquired property. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face, and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield and embroidered on his surcoat, the flowing and draped garment worn over the armour.
The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).