The correct form of this name is Chalmers which was derived from the Old French de la Chambre, a name meaning the chamber attendant, or the keeper of the Treasury chamber. The 'S' was a later addition. The name was brought into Scotland from France during the wake of the Norman Conquest of 1066. Hugh de Camera appears as a charter witness circa, 1200, and appears to be the first of the name on record. Robert de la Chaumbre was recorded in 1296. Willmus de Camera was a councillor in Aberdeen in 1399. Thomas Chamer was the burgess of Aberdeen in 1521. A particate of land was sold to John Chalmyr in Glasgow in 1555. Sir William Chambers (1726-1796) was a Scottish architect, born of Scottish ancestry in Stockholm. He studied in Italy and France, and practised in England. He designed Somerset House and the pagoda in Kew Gardens. Another notable member of the family name was Robert Chamber (1802-1871) the Scottish writer and publisher, born in Peebles. He began business as a bookseller in 1819, and wrote in his spare time. Later he and his brother combined to form the publishing house of W & R Chambers in 1832. Alba, the country which became Scotland, was once shared by four races; the Picts who controlled most of the land north of the Central Belt; the Britons, who had their capital at Dumbarton and held sway over the south west, including modern Cumbria; the Angles, who were Germanic in origin and annexed much of the Eastern Borders in the seventh century, and the Scots. The latter came to Alba from the north of Ireland late in the 5th century to establish a colony in present day Argyll, which they named Dalriada, after their homeland. The Latin name SCOTTI simply means a Gaelic speaker. The associated coat of arms is recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884. Registered at Glenormiston, County Peebles, granted in 1863.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).