Spelling variations of this family name include: Carver, Carvere, Carvar, Carever, Carber and others.
First found in Norfolk where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Richard Carver, who had sailed from Yarmouth in England in 1637; and who had lived at Scratby, in Norfolk, in England. He settled in Watertown in Massachusetts. In all, at this period, there were three settlers, Richard, Edward and Robert. Robert settled at Marshfield, Massachusetts in 1638.
(Above is a small excerpt from our 1800 word history)
Suggested Readings for the name Carver
"Carver Family, 1769-1977" by John Bradley Arthaud, "Genealogy of the Rev. Eleazer Carver Family" by Fred E. and Margaret R. Carver.
Some noteworthy people of the name Carver
* George Washington Carver (1864-1943), American botanist and inventor
* Jeffrey Carver (b. 1949), American science fiction author
* Raymond Carver (1938-1988), American short story writer and poet
* Jesse Carver (b. 1911), English football player and club manager
* John Carver (1575-1621), English colonist
* Richard Michael Power Carver (b. 1915), English soldier
* Sir Michael Carver (1915-2001), Baron Carver, British soldier and Chief of the General Staff
* Robert Carver (b. 1974), British sailing world champion
* Robert Carver (1490-1567), Scottish Renaissance monk and composer of Christian sacred music
Please be aware that there is more than one coat of arms for this surname. If you would like this particular coat of arms, you must describe it on your order form. If you don't describe it on your order form, we will provide you with the oldest coat of arms on record for this surname, which may or may not be the one pictured above.
Also, the heraldry images on this website are copyrighted. Please email me if you would like permission to use the image pictured above on a website.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).