Spelling variations of this family name include: O'Carroll, Carroll, Carrel, Carrell, Carrill, Carrol, Carroll, Caryll, Garvil, Garvill and many more.
First found in counties Tipperary, Offaly, Monaghan and Louth, where they were seated from very ancient times.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: John Carroll who settled in Nova Scotia in 1776; Mary Carroll (6 months old) who arrived in Quebec in 1849; Thomas Carroll and his family who arrived in Quebec in 1849.
(Above is a small excerpt from our 1800 word history)
Suggested Readings for the name Carroll
"Carroll Frontiersmen, From North Carolina 1805 to Arkansas 1987" by Elizabeth Carroll Foster, "Daniel Carroll II, One Man and His Descendants, 1730-1978" by Sister May Virginia Geiger.
Some noteworthy people of the name Carroll
* Ahmad Carroll (b. 1983), American professional football player
* Diahann Carroll (b. 1935), Academy Award-nominated and Tony Award winning American actress and singer
* Harry Carroll, American musician and songwriter
* Joan Carroll (b. 1932), American actress
* Julian Carroll (b. 1931), American Governor of Kentucky 1974–1979
* Pat Carroll (b. 1982), American basketball player
* Pete Carroll (b. 1951), American football coach
* John Carroll (1735-1815), American prelate
* Charles Carroll (1737-1832), American politician, representative from New York 1843–1847
* Sir John Carroll (1899-1974), British astronomer
* Matt Carroll (b. 1944), Australian film and television producer
* General Derek Carroll,
* Madelaine Carroll, Film Actress
* Sir Alfred Carroll,
* Lewis Carroll (1832-1898), pen name of Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, English author ("Alice's Adventures in Wonderland"), mathematician, and photographer
* James Carroll (1854-1907), English/American physician
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).