The surname of CABLE was a baptismal name 'the son of Cabel'. Early records of the name mention Adam Cabel, County Norfolk, 1273. Thomas Cabell was rector of Irstead, County Norfolk in the year 1506. Baptised. Ann Cable at St. James's, Clerkenwell, London in the year 1640. Samuel Kent and Kezia Cable were married at St. George's, Hanover Square, London in the year 1788. Originally the coat of arms identified the wearer, either in battle or in tournaments. Completely covered in body and facial armour the knight could be spotted and known by the insignia painted on his shield, and embroidered on his surcoat, the draped garment which enveloped him. Between the 11th and 15th centuries it became customary for surnames to be assumed in Europe, but were not commonplace in England or Scotland before the Norman Conquest of 1066. They are to be found in the Domesday Book of 1086. Those of gentler blood assumed surnames at this time, but it was not until the reign of Edward II (1307-1327) that second names became general practice for all people. The origin of badges and emblems, are traced to the earliest times, although, Heraldry, in fact, cannot be traced later than the 12th century, or at furthest the 11th century. At first armorial bearings were probably like surnames and assumed by each warrior at his free will and pleasure, his object being to distinguish himself from others. It has long been a matter of doubt when bearing Coats of Arms first became hereditary. It is known that in the reign of Henry V (1413-1422), a proclamation was issued, prohibiting the use of heraldic ensigns to all who could not show an original and valid right, except those 'who had borne arms at Agincourt'. The College of Arms (founded in 1483) is the Royal corporation of heralds who record proved pedigrees and grant armorial bearings.
The name has many variant spellings which include Cabell, Cabble and Cabbell.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).