Spelling variations of this family name include: Butler, Buttler, McRichard and others.
First found in Kilkenny (Irish: Cill Chainnigh), the former Kingdom of Osraige (Ossory), located in Southeastern Ireland in the province of Leinster. The first on record was Theobald FitzWalter, a distinguished Norman noble who accompanied Strongbow and was created the Chief Butler of Ireland in 1177.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Christopher Butler who settled in Virginia in 1670; the following, Charles, Daniel, Edward, Elizabeth, George, Giles, James, John, Joseph, Martin, Michael, Patrick, Richard, Thomas and William, all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860.
(Above is a small excerpt from our 1800 word history)
Suggested Readings for the name Butler
"The Ancestry of Blanche Butler Ames and Adelbert Ames" by Pauline Ames Plimpton, "Della Elizabeth Butler Hudson "Beth": Her Family and Ancestors" by Martha Ann Butler.
Some noteworthy people of the name Butler
* Octavia Estelle Butler (1947-2006), American science fiction writer
* Nicholas Murray Butler (1862-1947), American educationist
* Benjamin Franklin Butler (1818-1893), American lawyer
* Richard Butler, American Army officer and General in the Continental Army in the American Revolutionary War
* Lady Eleanor Butler (1745-1829), Irish recluse
* Sir William Francis Butler (1838-1910), Irish soldier and author
* Humphrey Butler, Irish noblemaan, 1st Earl of Lanesborough
* Richard Henry Piers Butler (1936-2004), Captain in the Irish Guards, 17th Viscount Mountgarret
* Frederick Edward Robin Butler (b. 1938), Baron Butler of Brockwell, a retired British civil servant
* General Geoffrey Butler,
* Keith Butler, Consul General
* Sir Mervin Butler,
* Sir Milo Butler, Governor General of the Bahamas
* David James Theobald Somerset Butler (b. 1953), 10th Earl of Carrick
* Joseph Butler (1692-1752), English moral philosopher
* Samuel Butler (1612-1680), British satirist
* Samuel Butler (1835-1902), English author/painter/musician
* Alban Butler (1710-1773), English Roman Catholic priest and hagiographer
* Josephine Elizabeth Butler (1828-1906), English social reformer
* Reginald Cotterell Butler (1913-1981), English sculptor
* Richard Austen Butler (1902-1982), English politician
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).