Where did the Scottish Buchanan family come from? What is the Scottish coat of arms/family crest? When did the Buchanan family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the history of the family name?
The annals of Scottish history reveal that the name Buchanan began in the Boernician tribe of the Scottish-English border region. The Buchanan family lived in the great lands of Buchanan in Stirlingshire where this illustrious clan held extensive territories since early times.
The arts of spelling and translation were yet in their infancies when surnames began, so there are an enormous number of spelling variations of the names in early Scottish records. This is a particular problem with Scottish names because of the numerous times a name might have been loosely translated to English from Gaelic and back. Buchanan has been spelled Buchanan, Bucanan, Bucanion, Bucanen, Bucanon, Buchannan, Buchannon, Buchannen, Buchanon, Buchanen, Bohannon and many more.
First found in Lennox where they were seated from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This oppression forced many Scots to leave their homelands. Most of these chose North America as their destination. Although the journey left many sick and poor, these immigrants were welcomed the hardy with great opportunity. Many of these settlers stood up for their newfound freedom in the American War of Independence. More recently, Scots abroad have recovered much of their collective heritage through highland games and other patriotic functions and groups. An examination of passenger and immigration lists has located various settlers bearing the name Buchanan: John Buchanan, who settled in Boston Mass. in 1651; David Buchanan, who arrived in Boston in 1652; Jane Buchanan, who settled in 1664 in New Jersey, Alexander Buchanan, listed as a Scot banned to America in 1678.
Motto Translated: Brighter hence the honour.
Suggested Readings for the name Buchanan
* by Jim Buchanan, Southwest Virginia Families (including the Buchanan Famil.
* by David B. Trimble.
Some noteworthy people of the name Buchanan
* Patrick J. Buchanan (b. 1938), American writer, politician
* Claudius Buchanan (1766-1815), Scottish divine
* George Buchanan, Scottish politician, member of the UK Parliametn
* Ian Buchanan (b. 1957), Emmy Award-winning Scottish television actor
* Kenneth Buchanan (b. 1945), Scottish, boxer, world champion in 1970-72.
* Robert Williams Buchanan (1841-1901), Scottish poet, novelist and dramatist
* Sir George Buchanan, British civil engineer that served in Burma, Iraq an