This surname BICKERDYKE was an English habitation name from some place (probably in Yorkshire, where the surname is commonest) and meaning 'the dweller near the dyke or ditch'. The name was originally rendered in the Norman French form DIKI, and was brought into England in the wake of the Norman Invasion of 1066. The earliest of the name on record appears to be Henricus Bikerdyk of Yorkshire, who was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. Most of the place-names that yield surnames are usually of small communities, villages, hamlets, some so insignificant that they are now lost to the map. A place-name, it is reasonable to suppose, was a useful surname only when a man moved from his place of origin to elsewhere, and his new neighbours bestowed it, or he himself adopted it. John Bekyrdyke registered at Oxford University in the year 1518, and Margaret Bederdick was buried at St. Mary, Aldermary, London in the year 1563. Most of the European surnames were formed in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. The process had started somewhat earlier and had continued in some places into the 19th century, but the norm is that in the tenth and eleventh centuries people did not have surnames, whereas by the fifteenth century most of the population had acquired a second name. Francis Hamond and Magdelen Bicardike were married in County Essex in the year 1638 (no church given). It has long been a matter of doubt when the bearing of coats of arms first became hereditary and it was not until the Crusades that Heraldry came into general use. Men went into battle heavily armed and were difficult to recognise. It became the custom for them to adorn their helmets with distinctive crests, and to paint their shields with animals and the like. Coats of arms accompanied the development of surnames, becoming hereditary in the same way. At first the coat of arms were a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield, and embroidered on his surcoat, the draped and flowing garment worn over his armour.
The associated coat of arms is recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).