Spelling variations of this family name include: Barlow, Barlowe, Barlo, Barloe and others.
First found in Cheshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Elizabeth Barlow who settled in Virginia in 1698; and Henry Barlow settled in Virginia in 1623; Abraham, Alfred, Ashton, Benjamin, Charles, Edward, George, Henry, James, John, Noah, Robert and Thomas Barlow, all landed in Philadelphia Pa. between 1771 and 1863.
(Above is a small excerpt from our 1800 word history)
Motto Translated: Ready in faith.
Suggested Readings for the name Barlow
"Bunches of Barlows: The Descendants of John Barlow of Wilkes County, North Carolina" by Elizabeth H. Michaels, "Haley, Marshal, Betchell, Barlow Genealogy" by Elaine Vertz Smithers.
Some noteworthy people of the name Barlow
* Joel Barlow (1754-1812), American writer and poet
* Thomas Barlow (b. 1940), American politician
* John Barlow (1754-1812), American poet
* Sir George Hilario Barlow (1762-1847), English administrator, who served as Acting Governor-General of India (1805-1807)
* Sir Robert Barlow (1757-1843), English Admiral
* Clarence Barlow (b. 1945), English (Calcutta born) composer of classical and electroacoustic works
* Gary Barlow (b. 1971), English singer, songwriter, bandleader and producer
* Peter Barlow (1776-1862), English physicist
* Thomas Barlow (1607-1691), English divine
* William Barlow, English clergyman
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).