This surname of BAKER is an English occupational name found in all the provinces. It was in Ireland as le Bakere, as early as the 13th century. BAKER was derived from the Old English word BAECERE - an occupational name, a maker and seller of bread, found frequently in medieval documents. Occupational surnames originally denoted the actual occupation followed by the individual. At what period they became hereditary is a difficult problem. Many of the occupation names were descriptive and could be varied. In the Middle Ages, at least among the Christian population, people did not usually pursue specialized occupations exclusively to the extent that we do today, and they would, in fact, turn their hand to any form of work that needed to be done, particularly in a large house or mansion, or on farms and smallholdings. In early documents, surnames often refer to the actual holder of an office, whether the church or state. When the sparse Irish population began to increase it became necessary to broaden the base of personal identification by moving from single names to a more definite nomenclature. The prefix MAC was given to the father's christian name, or O to that of an even earlier ancestor. Early records of the name mention Walter le Baker of the County of Devon who was recorded in the year 1273. John le Baker of Yorkshire was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. Jane Baker was baptised at St. Peters Church, Cornhill, London in 1555. Sir Richard Baker (1568-1645) was the English historian born in Kent. He was the high sheriff of Oxfordshire in 1620. In 1635, he was thrown into the Fleet Prison for debt. There he wrote his 'Chronicle of the King's of England' in 1643, which dealt with the Roman period until his own day. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield, and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face, and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield and embroidered on his surcoat, the flowing and draped garment worn over the armour.The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884. Registered in Ulster on 21st February, 1681.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).