Spelling variations of this family name include: Ayer, Air, Ayre, Ayers and others.
First found in Ayrshire where the family has been seated from ancient times.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: John Ayer, who was on record in Massachusetts in 1635; Simon Ayer, his wife Dorothy and their eight children, who all settled in Massachusetts in 1635.
(Above is a small excerpt from our 1800 word history)
Suggested Readings for the name Ayers
"Ancestors of Silas Ayers and Mary Bryam Ayers" by Charles H. Ayers, "The Ayers Family: Descendants of William Eayers of Londonderry, New Hampshire" by Azuba Ruth Ward, "The Story of the Ayers Family: Pioneers in the Middle West" by Allan Joy Searle.
Some noteworthy people of the name Ayers
* John GK Ayers, American soldier, who received a Medal of Honor on August 31 1895 for Gallantry in the charge of the "volunteer storming party"
* Edward L. Ayers (b. 1953), president of the University of Richmond
* Roy Ayers (b. 1940), American funk, soul and jazz vibraphone player
* Sir Henry Ayers (1821-1897), former Premier of South Australia, eponym of Uluru/Ayers Rock
* Kevin Ayers (b. 1944), British rock singer
Please be aware that there is more than one coat of arms for this surname. If you would like this particular coat of arms, you must describe it on your order form. If you don't describe it on your order form, we will provide you with the oldest coat of arms on record for this surname, which may or may not be the one pictured above.
Also, the heraldry images on this website are copyrighted. Please email me if you would like permission to use the image pictured above on a website.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).