Origins Available: Danish, German, Scottish, Swedish
Where did the Swedish Anderson family come from? What is the Swedish coat of arms/family crest? When did the Anderson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the history of the family name?
The origin of the distinguished Anderson family can be traced to the historic Scandinavian country of Sweden. The surname Anderson is a patronymic derived from Anders, the Swedish equivalent of Greek Andreas. In Sweden, Anders had been one of the most common personal names for many centuries when the patronymics were converted into family names; thus explaining the large number of people bearing the surname Andersson.
This product is available in 11 X 17 parchment scroll format, but extracts from this history are not available at this time.
Read full text versions of sample histories.
Suggested Readings for the name Anderson
* The Andersons of Rowlett's Creek by W. Clytes Anderson Cullar and Jerry M. Flook.
* Descendants of Capt. Henry Anderson, Sr., of Newberry County, South Carolina by Lucien L. McNees.
Some noteworthy people of the name Anderson
* Leroy Anderson (1908-1975), composer
* Marion Anderson (b. 1902), American singer
* Philip W. Anderson (b. 1923), American scientist who won the Nobel Prize for physics in 1977 for his work on the electronic structure of magnetic and disordered systems
* Robert Anderson (b. 1917), American playwright best known for his work "Tea and Sympathy"
* Sherwood Anderson (1876-1941), American writer
* Gillian Anderson (b. 1968), actress best known for her role as Dana Scully in the television series "The X-Files."
* John Anderson (1893-1962), philosopher
* Dame Judith Anderson (b. 1898), actress
* Malcolm Anderson (b. 1957), tennis player
* Michael Anderson (b. 1920), British film director.
* Michael P. Anderson (1959-2003), astronaut on board the Space Shuttle Columbia when it broke up during re-entry.
Please be advised that there is more than one Anderson Coat of Arms available. Please describe the Anderson Coat of Arms you want on your order form.