The surname of ADDISON was a baptismal name 'the son of Addy', a pet form of Adam. This surname is found in the eastern counties from Linlithgow to Aberdeen. William Adison was the rector of Luss in the year 1379, and appears to be the first of the name on record. Early records of the name also mention John Addisone of the County of Yorkshire in 1400. Robert Addeson of the County of Yorkshire in 1498. Robert Adyson was vicar of Colmonell, Scotland in 1415, and William Adison leased the mill of Syokis in 1443. Duncan Adeson held land in Stirling in 1449. Andrew Edisoun in Spittelmylne, Scotland appears on record in 1580, as a land owner. John Adieson was a baillie of the Burgh of Leith, in 1645. An eminent member of the name was Joseph Addison (1672-1719) English essayist and poet; contributor to 'Tatler' and joint author of 'Spectator'. He was born in Milton, Wiltshire, the son of a doctor. A distinguished classical scholar he began his literary career in 1693. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face, and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield, and embroidered on his surcoat, the draped and flowing garment worn over the armour.
Surnames before the Norman Conquest of 1066 were rare in England having been brought by the Normans when William the Conqueror invaded the shores. The practice spread to Scotland and Ireland by the 12th century, and in Wales they appeared as late as the 16th century. Most surnames can be traced to one of four sources, locational, from the occupation of the original bearer, nicknames or simply font names based on the first name of the parent being given as the second name to their child.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).